GRAND STREET UNION STATION/WATERBURY REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN CLOCK TOWER
This landmark building can be seen from the highway upon entering the city. Constructed by the world famous architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White of N.Y., this structure resembles the Torre Del Mangia at the Palazzo Publico in Siena, Italy.
GRAND STREET STATUE OF THE BLESSED FATHER MCGIVNEY
Father McGivney founded the Knights of Columbus. The 8-foot bronze figure stands atop a 10-foot granite block.It was cast by Joseph Coletti of Boston.
THE SUPERIOR COURTHOUSE
ON THE TRAIL OF CALDER SCULPTURE
Returning to the Source by William Papaleo strand in Library Park. From the label: "It symbolizes the regenerating possibilities for Waterbury through art. It also symbolizes the city's return to its roots through metal.
MISSING SCULPTURE: THE WHALE
The sculptor of the sperm whale was Jerome Stein of Torrington. He donated the mobile
to the Silas Bronson Library, which had been designed by his brother Joseph (who was
also the architect of the courthouse across the street form the Silas Bronson Library).
The mobile is composed of more than 150 pieces, most of them circular, suspended from
a bar 15 feet above the ground.
BIKE RACK designed by Brenda Anderson Killer
GRAND STREET SILAS BRONSON LIBRARY
Located at 267 Grand Street, the library building was constructed in two stages in 1964
and 1968, replacing the 1894 building at the same site. The architect was Joseph Stein,
who designed numerous buildings throughout the Waterbury region.
THE SILAS BRONSON LIBRARY
Portrait of Silas Bronson a 19th century industrialist who funded the free public library. The artist was Horace Chauncey Johnson.
THE SILAS BRONSON LIBRARY Bust of DANTE
This bust of Dante Aligheiri was given by the Italian American citizens of Waterbury in
1921, the 600
anniversary of Dante’s death, to honor and perpetuate this Italian author’s
name. The sculptor was Italian artist Paolo Abbate.
THE SILAS BRONSON LIBRARY bust of DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING JR.
This bronze sculpture is located to the right, just inside the library doors.
The bust of Dr. Martin Luther King was donated by Morris, Jerome, and Harold Stein in
1993 in recognition of the achievements of greater Waterbury’s black community and Dr.
King’s pursuit of peace among all won.
The bust was completed by Joseph Stein, architect of the Silas Bronson Library.
GRAND STREET STATUE OF BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.
Designed by Paul Wayland, a former city resident, the statue weighs 1700 lbs. and was purchased with a grant from the Elisha Leavenworth Foundation.
GRAND STREET MEMORIAL BENCH
commemorating those that once were burined on the library grounds.
GRAND STREET STATUE OF CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS
This iconic statue was commissioned by The Christopher Columbus Committee and is the work of Frank C. Gaylord of Barre, Vermont. It is a 12-foot statue is made of granite and weighs 12,000 pounds. The statue was decapitated by a thief but has been restored by the generosity of the UNICO Club.
GRAND STREET SCULPTURE:
Brian Walters submitted images of his sculptures to the Waterbury Public Arts
Committee who selected this sculpture. It was commissioned by the Mattatuck Museum through private
GRAND STREET CITY HALL
This grand ediface encompassed the Police and Fire Departments as well. It was designed by Cass Gilbert of New York. After years of neglect, the building was condemned in 2006. Local citizens rallied to save the historic structure and the current building was rededicated in 2011.
GRAND STREET FIREFIGHTERS MEMORIAL
This serves as a memorial for those who died in the line of duty.
GRAND STREET CHASE BUILDING
This was designed by Cass Gilbert was constructed by the Chase family with a marble facade and was part of their overall plan to form a cluster of Cass Gilbert designed buildings.
GRAND STREET THE JOHN S. MONAGAN FEDERAL BUILDING
Designed by George Oakley Totten in 1931, the facade includes eleven panels facing Grand Street that illustrate the history of communication and transportation.
GRAND STREET POST OFFICE FRIEZE PANELS
The various panels depict modes of transportation used to deliver mail.
GRAND STREET ON THE TRAIL OF CALDER SCULPTURE Off Beat by Deborah Napolitano
This was placed outside the Travel Center in the Buckingham Garage (where, incidentally, Calder once offered to install a sculpture, but the City turned him down). From the label: "It reflects Alexander Calder's love of the circus and circus sculptures. The piece is meant to inspire us to walk to a different beat."
GRAND STREET MURAL
This is affixed to the Buckingham Garage. This was an ASAP (After School Art Project) contribution to the city. The mural was constructed by area school children over several regions.
SOUTH MAIN STREET ON THE TRAIL OF CALDER SCULPTURE
This lovely piece sits in front of the Waterbury Health Dept. The Sleeping Giant by Vincenzo Liguori.
BANK STREET HOWLAND HUGHES BUILDING
This landmark building is now the site of POST UNIVERSITY'S ONLINE SERVICES
GRAND STEET AND BANK STREET INTERSECTION: BIKE RACK
This utilitarian sculpture was designed by Brenda Anderson Killer
SOUTH MAIN STREET COMMUNITY MOSAIC "COOL WATERS"
The work is comprised of thousands of individual colored tiles that were put onto 60 individual panels by members of the Waterbury community. It was designed by Connecticut artists Joanne and Bruce Hunter.
BANK STREET M.A. GREEN CLOCK outside SHAKESPERIENCE PRODUCTIONS
The historic two-dial clock was moved from its original 1920 site on Grand Street to Bank Street in 1935. The 17 foot tall timepiece, made by Seth Thomas Co., was given to the City in 1993.
EXCHANGE ALLEY ON BANK STREET MURAL BY JENNA WILKES
EXCHANGE PLACE APOTHECARY'S HALL
EXCHANGE PLACE THE BROWN BUILDING
NORTH MAIN STREET ON THE GREEN THE ODD FELLOWS HALL Nosahogan Lodge, No. 21 was designed by Wilfred E. Griggs, a local architect and member of the lodge.
WEST MAIN ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE GREEN THE ELTON HOTEL
This was for many years the city’s grandest hotel. Built in 1904 and designed by Wilfred Griggs in the style of the French Renaissance, the Elton Hotel featured the “Ideal Tour,” an automobile route through New England, starting at the Elton and stopping at various hotels and resorts. John F. Kennedy made a campaign speech in 1960 from the hotel balcony and the humorist, James Thurber, wrote the story, “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.” Today the building serves as an assisted-living facility.
THE GREEN THE CARRIE WELTON FOUNTAIN
The horse fountain was designed by Karl Gerhardt of Hartford. The 2,500 pound statue is in memory of Caroline Josephine Welton's black stallion, Knight, and her love of animals.
NORTH MAIN STREET BANK DOORS
This began in 1927 as the Dime Savings Bank and the architecture was to reflect the architecture of the Spanish Renaissance by the New York the firm of York and Sawyer and features sculpted relief panels of allegorical figures and symbols of the Zodiac.
WEST MAIN ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE GREEN THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CHURCH AND RECTORY
Designed by the firm of McGinnis and Walsh, the church was modeled on the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome, one of the four major Catholic basilicas. A Vatican decree in 2008 conferred on Immaculate Conception Church the status of a minor basilica.
WEST MAIN ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE GREEN THE FATHER THOMAS CONWAY COMMEMORATIVE STATUE.
The sculpture depicts the Navy chaplain during the days he spent after the sinking of the USS Indianapolis where over 1100 men were left in shark infested waters for four days. Fewer than 400 survived. Before his death, Conway was noted for his continual care of the men around him, administering sacraments and bolstering spirits. He was not among the survivors.
WEST MAIN STREET THE MATTATUCK MUSEUM AND SCULPTURE
Sol LeWitt (1928 - 2007)
Complex Form MH15, C. 1990
Aluminum, enamel paint
The Hayes Collection, Coventry, CT
WEST MAIN ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE GREEN THE YMCA MURAL AND THE ON THE TRAIL OF CALDER SCULPTURE
Mare Nostrum ("Our Sea") by Eduardo Giannattasio stands outside the YMCA. From the label: "The work is a tribute to Alexander Calder's mobiles but also fitting for Waterbury as a river city. The symbolism behind the sculpture is that one sea unites humanity."Behind the sculpture is a portion of the community mosaic project by Joann and Bruce Hunter of Danbury.
WEST MAIN STREET MATTATUCK MUSEUM SCULPTURE
Don Gummer (b.1946)
Cross Current, 2019
Stainless steel and cast bronze
132 X 60 X 60 inches
WEST MAIN STREET ST. JOHN'S CHURCH
This elegant structure was
The Soldiers Monument
This statue commemorates the CIVIL WAR. The sculptor George C. Bissell created the 48-foot-high bronze monument that was cast in Paris and cost $25,000. It was dedicated Oct. 23, 1884.
WEST MAIN STREET THE JOHN KENDRICK HOUSE
This former mansion was once used by The Mattatuck Museum.
ON THE GREEN THE VETERANS MONUMENT
This was designed by Luis Fucito for the City of Waterbury and intended to honor of all those who have served in the wars of our country. The 15-foot star was dedicated on May 30,1958 and is located on the west end of the Green.
THE ROWLAND CENTER SUSPECDED SCULPTURE by Alice Aycock.
ON THE GREEN
THE M I A MEMORIAL
ON THE GREEN THE LUX CLOCK
The base and the 15 foot granite tower were designed by Paul Lux of the Lux Clock Co.
LEAVENWORTH STREET DRESCHER'S RESTAURANT.
Built in 1903, this 300-ton building was physically moved 200 feet from Harrison Avenue to its present location on Leavenworth Street
HARRISON ALLEY'S COMFORT STATION
The building has been converted to a law office and apartment.
A handsome pair of Cass Gilbert structures: The Chase Dispensary and the Lincoln House.
KENDRICK AVENUE COURTHOUSE
The structure is located at the intersection with Leavenworth.
FIELD STREET MURAL
This mural sits at the end of the exit into downtown. It measures 875 sq. ft. It was commissioned by the Public Art Committee.